Sunday, December 04, 2005

Georgetown is a neighborhood in DC that is so well known, so trendy, so posh, so…worn out I loathe to think of the days when the few blocks around Wisconsin and “M” streets enthralled me. Today, I’m getting of the bus with a different idea of the neighborhood and DC as a whole. I’m determined to find something worthy of interest in the area known as Georgetown, something more significant than a pair of shoes or a fancy meal.
That said, Georgetown is one of the best places to shop in DC, so I wander in and out of a few of the stores: Commander Salamander, Urban Outfitters, Beyond The Wall…there are so many places to spend. I found this somewhat frustrating, however; the average college freshman (myself included) cannot easily walk into a Georgetown boutique and buy whatever suits their fancy. “I can’t even afford Urban anymore, God, I remember when they were cheap…well…cheaper,” I complained under my breath as I left, empty-handed from Urban Outfitters.
“Ok, Ok, get over this, this isn’t why you’re here, you’re wandering, remember,” I told myself as I wandered off “M.” The streets of Georgetown seemed to breathe with new life off the main shopping drag. Cobblestones lined the road, a few tracks poked out (I assume from a trolley system now gone) from the street, federal-style brick homes climb three stories. They seem to be out of the 19th century, all the details so miraculously preserved (or, at the very least, replicated): brass doorknockers, painted dormers, windows partitioned by bits of wood, with a swirl in the glass near one corner—a product of hand blowing.
Ivy inched up the old homes, and I realized I was wrong. Georgetown does indeed have character, the character DC once had: old and powerful and beautiful. But Georgetown is loosing its character every time a tourist drops their frappuccino cup into the canal, and as for the character of DC on the whole, I think that may already be irreparably lost and forgotten.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home